2.5K views

purchased 2 of these at costco 6 feb 16. they both started acting up 20 jan 18.

beeping sound and occasion light flashing through out day and night. one flashes occasion during the night so bright it wakes me up. of course if your some alarm flashes how can you go back to sleep. i agree, the 9 volt battery alarms are the way to go at least you can change the batteries once or twice a year.

with a peace of mind and sleep. save your money and DO NOT purchase the first alert model no.

p1210. this will prevent you from joining the rest of us unhappy buyers.

Review about: First Alert P1210 Smoke Detector.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Comments

I bought six of them from Home Depot in Vaux Hall, New Jersey one year ago. So far three of them have malfunctioned, with the alarm ringing me awake in the middle of the night.

Do NOT feel safe trusting the remaining three. This is a poorly designed product and should NOT be sold in a humid state like New Jersey (since humidity is apparently one of the things that screws up this product).

Ditto! False alarms highly annoying. Must now doubt the product's reliability.

Purchased 7 unit January 21, 2016 already had to replace 3 of the unit, alarms activated several time for no reason. Finally deactivated!

Yup! In agreement with the complaints on this posting, this is a crummy product.

This dual pack of smoke detectors was dated 6/2015. The first alarm located in the basement went off with no smoke in the area and the only way to deactivate it is to use deactivate switch. This was yesterday 7/23/18. "Once the alarm is deactivated this alarm cannot be reactivated and must be replaced".

What a waste. The second smoke detector from the same date went off just now in our upstairs bedroom for no apparent reason.

7/24/18. WARNING: DO NOT BUY THIS FAULTY PRODUCT!!!

I have four of the Model P1210 alarms. Three of the four have failed after less than 2 years.

One was apparently a battery failure, based on the beeps. Two were randomly signalling fire when there was no fire. NOT dust, contrary to what the customer service people tell you. One kept going off even after the deactivation switch was pushed.

Had to open it and cut the battery wires to get it to stop.

Obviously there is no point to getting replacements when they are only going to send the same defective model. Replaced the three with another product and will replace the fourth one with another produce when it fails, as I expect it to.

#1520961

I have never had issues with First Alert devices before, these are a piece of junk. Add my name to the chorus of those having detectors start going off -- terrible.

#1520412

Purchased a two pack either from COSTCO or Home Depot (date stamp on back of detector is 2016 JUN 12). The last 3 months both have gone off in middle of the night for no apparent reason. Definitely don't waste your money on them!

#1520248

Bought 6 - 2 have "gone off" High failure rate

First Alert smoke alarm gives out false alarm for no reason. After contacting the customer service, I was told to clean the smoke alarm every month.

But after two weeks, it generated false alarm again.

The customer service is blaming the air conditioner, which is located 20-ft away in a different room. I will never buy its product again!

THIS MODEL IS THE WORST AND WILL KEEP ME FROM BUYING ANYMORE FIRST ALERT ITEMS. IT WOULD WAKE US UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT JUST BEEPING ONE RIGHT AFTER THE OTHER NOT EVEN A MINUTE APART. MY HUSBAND FELL OUT OF BED AND HURT HIS ARM TRYING TO GET OUT OF THE BEDROOM TO SEE WHAT WAS WRONG.

My wife burnt something on the stove , the alarms didn't go off, checked to see if the were activated they were

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!! I just got off the phone with First Alert's *customer NO service*.

My complaint was I have two of model P1210 smoke detectors, both installed in August of 2106, which were purchased from Costco. The units have been installed less than two years. They were supposed to last until August 2026. I dated the day of installment on the inside where the units' information is located..

Within a week of each other, they sounded off during the middle of the night. I removed both and blew on them and reinstalled. They both went off again. This product is useless and a DANGER to any household.

Was told by the company they have a 10-year warranty but it would take weeks to send me new ones. It was like being forced to return to Costco- which I will and will NEVER EVER purchase another First Alert product.

I purchased and installed 2 pack from Sam's Club on Feb 2018.One of the units have been beeping all day (Tuesday 5/29/18).I will be returning these

Purchased and installed July 17 2017 and May 29, 2018 it beeped/died... It claimed a 10 year battery life and I'll try to return it to Coatco.

I own a lot of rentals and purchased around 45 packages of the 2 pack detectors at Costco in Feb 2015 model #P1210. So 90 total detectors.

I'd say 1 in 8 did not beep at all right out of the box and were exchanged right away for new packages. Then over the last couple years around half have started beeping for no reason. Company has claimed that units need to be cleaned of dust and that's what causes them to go off for no reason. If you call the number on the back of the detector they will send replacements.

I have also had an issue with the detectors not going off with smoke present. I was alerted to this when a tenant caused a stove fire and the detector in the kitchen did not go off. Fortunately, the hallway did go off. We then put the remaining detectors at other properties in a bucket of smoke and found a few more did not go off with smoke.

Why were these issues never a problem with the 9 volt battery detectors?

I can't believe this product has not yet been recalled. It was brought to market too fast.

This is not a reliable resource!

to Anonymous #1510680

This product has issues and instructions are an issue. The company should post clarification on the confusing deactivate switch.

What a poor design and horrible instructions.